A Face of Job Corps: Whitney, 20 years old, California
Prior to coming to San Jose Job Corps in September 2009, Whitney found herself having to leave her mother’s home and fend for herself…..She was working three jobs while pursuing her GED. Getting no-where fast and lacking confidence and focus on how to reach her goal of becoming a Registered Nurse she decided to enroll at the San Jose Job Corps Center for medical assisting. While waiting for an opening in that trade, Whitney;
- Obtained her High School Diploma
- Completed Landscaping
- Completed Facilities Maintenance – a non -traditional trade for women
- Started a student Yoga Club
- Attended part-time leisure time college
- Served as Secretary and President of the Centers Student Government Association
- Served as a member of the Health & Wellness Committee.
- Served as a member of the Student Rules Committee.
- Works with California Conservation Corps (CCC). Whitney was selected as first alternate as part of the CCC foreign exchange program in Australia.
In Whitney’s own words:
My life experience has shown me there are many paths and choices along the way to reaching your dreams and it is not always a straight line.