At the age of 16, Shayla has made some important decisions about her life. In the previous two years of her high school career, she had been ignoring her potential for an education. It was not until her father was diagnosed with Pancreatitis and lost their home that she started to pay attention to the main objective; obtaining a high school diploma and choosing a career path. Shayla chose Job Corps. Since enrollment, Shayla has accomplished the following:
- Enrolled at the Paul Simon Chicago Job Corps Center in March, 2010
- Joined the Student Ambassador Leadership Program
- Earned credits towards a high school diploma
- Career Technical Training in Office Administration
- Participated in community service projects
- Presented her success story to Congressman Bobby L. Rush and guest at the 1st Congressional WIA briefing
“Job Corps has given me an opportunity to earn a high school diploma and choose a career. I am off to a good start and being here at the Paul Simon Chicago Job Corps Center is a great experience”.