Security check

Security check

how to file business taxes

You will not receive a tax bill from HMRC – you are responsible for working out how much tax your company owes every year by preparing annual accounts. Most small companies can use HMRC’s online accounts template, but it may be worth hiring an accountant if you have no experience in this area. Your accounting period for corporation tax will normally be 12 months’ long, and it will usually match your company’s financial year. Your financial year is the time covered by your annual accounts. Your accounting period will start on the date your company becomes active for corporation tax. If you receive Self Assessment returns and file on paper rather than online but have simple tax affairs, you may be able to receive the short tax return instead of the full Self Assessment tax return.

Which European country has the lowest corporate tax rate?

Hungary (9 percent), Ireland (12.5 percent), and Lithuania (15 percent) have the lowest corporate income tax rates. On average, European OECD countries currently levy a corporate income tax rate of 21.5 percent.

This means that it might be more complicated to accurately record your incomings and outgoings, but you get a more accurate picture of how your business is performing. IMPORTANT – Throughout your tax return, different questions will have blue question marks next to them. These open help sections with more information on those questions, so if you don’t understand any of them, make sure you use these.

What’s the difference between a hobby and a business?

If you wish, you can nominate somebody else to file your taxes on your behalf. In exceptional circumstances, it could be someone with financial power of attorney for you. If they have employees, they also need to register with HMRC as employers for PAYE deductions. If money is taken out of the business, it is subject to separate taxation.

You can estimate your business rates by multiplying this value by the correct ‘multiplier’ . Corporation tax is calculated by multiplying taxable profits by the corporation tax rate. The amount of corporation tax payable depends on your total profits. Well, if you’re getting paid for work on real estate bookkeeping a monthly basis, there’s probably very little difference. But, if you agree to and invoice someone for work several months before you get paid, it can change the year you pay tax on that income. With traditional accounting, you pay tax and claim expenses based on the invoice or billing date.

Filing a corporation tax return

You need to file your company’s accounts at companies house within nine months of its accounting period ending. You file your company’s Corporation Tax return with HMRC within 12 months of your accounting period ending. As this guide has shown, the actual form is fairly straightforward – most self-employed people and small business owners will just have to enter their total figures for income and expenses. If you’re a sole trader, you’ll pay income tax on the profit you make for your business and you’ll need to submit a self-assessment tax return to HMRC to calculate how much you owe. Each year, you’ll have to submit a CT600 form to HMRC that’s due 12 months from the end of your company’s accounting date. However, your corporation tax bill must be paid nine months and one day after the end of your company’s accounting date.

  • Date your company became active – this will determine the start of your corporation tax accounting period.
  • After you receive this notice, you must send a company tax return – even if you made a loss or don’t owe any tax.
  • See How and when do I report capital gains to HMRC and pay my CGT bill?
  • As such, you will be required to pay a self-employment tax on your income.
  • But you must still pay tax based on the profits of the individuals involved in your business.
  • When you start a business, you’ll have a million thoughts racing through your mind — with taxes often getting put on the back burner to deal with more pressing issues.
  • The standard rate of tax is 20%, though you are able to register for a flat-rate scheme if you feel it will be more beneficial to your business.
Print This Story